Monday, January 14, 2008

Sukiyaki


Like every other morning as I was eating breakfast today I was already thinking about what I would be eating for dinner. My Dad suggested we make Sukiyaki. He showed me a recipe that he had gotten out of a book of various recipes put together by a Japanese community center we used to be involved with. The recipe was very simple and so I gave it a go. I had no idea what to expect. I am so used to using a bunch of garlic, onions, and pepper in my meat marinades, that soy sauce, sugar, and a little bit of water was new to me. The end product was amazing. I started by heating a little bit of vegtable oil in a skillet. I added my onions, both green and white. After a couple minutes I added my top sirloin which was cut into very thin pieces. I made sure to keep the vegtables seperate from the meat at first. Then I simply added my sauce mixture and let the meat broil in it. After the meat was cooked I added mushrooms, bean sprouts, water chesnuts, bamboo stalks, tofu, and noodles. It was that simple. I thought it looked great, but because I didnt use the garlic that I am used to there was no strong aroma. That didn't matter at all. The dish was delicious!! The meat was nice and tender and I loved how the water chesnuts and bean sprouts added a nice crunch. Im so happy to have another Japanese dish to add to my heart. Sukiyaki is something I never would have thought to make, or look for in a cookbook. I'm glad my Dad suggested it and I look forward to sharing it with my friends and family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.