Monday, November 26, 2007

Pain Aux Raisin: Grandma's Treat



As I said last night, I was going to bake something for my Grandma who came over this morning. My first try at Pain Aux Raisin was a great sucess. I tend to have the habit of taking bread out too early and therefore the final product can be doughy at times, but today was different. The recipe comes from yet another one of my favorite websites The Fresh Loaf. Instead of brushing the egg glaze on the baked rolls, I decided to use a White Fondant for a different look and sweeter taste. Floydum makes note that Pain Aux Lait is typically the, "poor man's brioche," but I agree with him, my rolls were plenty rich. The White fondant I used came from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice. It is optional to use lemon extract in the fondant glaze, and I recommend doing so. It is amazing what you can do with what you have.

1 comment:

Ari (Baking and Books) said...

Mmmm, Fresh Loaf + Baker's Apprentice - that's divine inspiration indeed! The pain aux raisin looks scrumptious.



Ari (Baking and Books)